I’ve never been allergic to anything in my life, and on Monday, I discovered I was allergic to something at my mom’s house. At first, I thought it must be her cats–but we have cats, and I’ve never had a problem with them. My mom’s house is the house I lived in for all but a few years of my life, so it seemed unlikely I was suddenly allergic to her carpet or whatever. I didn’t sneeze too much, but my nose was itching horribly, and I was making candy (chocolate-covered cherries), and couldn’t stop every few seconds to rub my nose. It was awful!
But I went back to her house a couple of days ago, and didn’t have anything near like I had had before–and the cats were there, too. I couldn’t figure it out! Then it dawned on me–it must be the cherries. 😦
Apparently, they don’t cause any problems if I just eat them, but if I touch cherries and then touch my face (especially my nose), it sets my nose to itching big-time.
The good news is, I can still eat mom’s delicious home-made chocolate-covered cherries….I just have to wash my hands afterwards. The better news is, I can’t be pressed into service making them any more! 🙂
The allergy is definitely to the food coloring in the cherries, which is red dye #40. (I figured it out because it’s the coloring used in liquid food coloring, which I diluted and touched to my face, and started itching.) You can go to red40.com for a comprehensive listing of foods with this additive in it.
Welcome to my blog. Please visit my womantowomancbe blog for independent childbirth education information, and all things related to pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. This is my personal page for everything else. Enjoy.